Saturday, August 23, 2008

New House, New Neighbors (who are great), New Ward, New Friends, New School

Since we moved during the summer we have been able to take the last couple of months of the summer to adjust to the new place. It has been perfect timing though - enough time to make new friends before starting school. Ashlee has a best friend next door and the two of them are inseparable. Cade and Ash both get to go to the same school they would've gone to even if we hadn't moved. Cade asked me not to talk about his girlfriend so I will honor his wishes. Which by the way, thanks to Lori, we have located, adapted, printed and posted on the refrigerator the "Priday Family Dating Rules". Rule number 11 states that no dating until the age of 16. Alyssa is in a new school due to the move. She is starting cheerleading this week and is very excited. And Halle.....well she started kindergarten this year so everything is new for her. Its amazing to me to watch her innocent little face as she experiences all these new things. Her face brightens up with excitment when she goes to school and she calls it her "princess school". We love the new neighborhood. It's nice when the kids can go outside and play and not worry about the neighbors yelling at them to be quiet. You would've thought we lived in a rest home.
The '08-'09 school year is officially underway! I have never felt so old as I do today. All of our kids are in school now. We hesitated keeping Halle home for one more year. She is so little! I think our second guessing was because Kim didn't want to see her "Bubbies" leave her alone. The big day came and Kim mustered up as much courage as she could to walk her into her classroom and help her find her seat. Halle wasn't lucky enough to go to preschool so this was all new to her. I think Kim thought Halle would be a little more apprehensive about the whole thing so when it had only been 2 minutes since walking through the kindergarten door and Halle looked and Kim and told her "she could go home now." and "I'll be just fine". I think it broke Kim's heart - she definitely cried more than Halle.
I got nominated to take Halle to get her Kindergarten shots. It seems that Dads are supposed to be better at watching their kids in pain. Whatever. The whole appointment was going good. Ears, nose, throat, check the eyes. She knew what was coming. Every time the Doctor or Nurse came in she would ask if they had her shots. After all test were done the nurse informed me that she would be giving 5 shots today. The 2 nurses had no idea how tough of a little girl they were dealing with. One nurse had 2 syringes and the other had 3. Halle watched them do the first couple and when I told her to look up at me (I was holding her little hands that up to this point hadn't even flinched) she gave me that look like "how could you sit there and let them do this to me". I didn't realize it, but I guess one of the nurses told Halle that she was going to give her a certificate for Del Taco. As we walked out to the truck to leave I asked Halle why she was so brave? "Because I get Del Taco"










5 comments:

Lori said...

what will you do with all that time to yourself kim? i'm not sure i'll be able to figure it out next year, and i've had Ryan in preschool for warm up. i hate the days they have to have shots. Cried when ethan had his first ones as a baby, and i think i still feel soo bad even now. Good luck guys with school.

Jenni said...

Ah, the things we do for Del Taco.

Good to see you guys! Y'all look great! Hard to believe how quickly the time goes and how much the kids grow, eh?

Kim! Send me an e-mail so we can catch up!

jennijune at gmail dot com

Shelly said...

You guys have been holding back on us! Mike you're writing this, that's great! It's sooo good to see your little family. I cannot believe how much your kids have changed. When we moved there Halle was just a little baby scooting around in a sleeper.

Sounds like things are going well in St. George. Come visit our blog sometime or email (you have my email). Kim look at you lookin all skinny. You go with your cute self! Really good to see how life is going for you guys!

Mindy said...

Ashley told us how brave Halle was with the shots! Your kids are adorable. I heard about the dating rules from Ashley too. New things are happening in your house it sounds like. Its only a breath away for the girls too I guess. We are so glad you moved into this neighborhood. Kindergarten is really just a tease for parents cause it barley lasts long enough to run errands. Next year will be the true test to see what Kim will do with her time.

Darin and Kali said...

Man I remember the days when you took me to school and I was screaming and crying cause I didn't want to go. Good times. Maybe if your kids have a hard time going then you (Mike) can put on some lipstick and kiss little pieces of paper for them, it would work for me if I was them.